Last Updated: January 1, 2021
PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Who We Are. For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation, the data controller of your personal information is Pubmark Inc., One Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142. Our Data Protection Officer can be reached at [email protected] .
Must-Read Sections. We draw your attention in particular to the sections entitled “International Data Transfer” and “Information Choices and Changes.”
WHAT WE COLLECT
There’s a range of information we need to collect about you so that we can operate our sites. This information may include:
- Information You Give Us. We collect your email address, password, the genres of books you like to read, and other information you directly give us. If you provide it, then this information may also include your name, username, country of residence, or credit card information.
- Information We Get From Others. We may get information about you from other sources. For example, you can upload contacts from your email provider so that we can notify you when people you know create profiles on ReviewBook.
- Information Automatically Collected. We automatically log information about you and your device. For example, when using our sites, we log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, the referring website, pages you viewed, and access times. We also collect information about actions you take when using our sites, such as authors you follow; books and advertisements you click; audiobooks you purchase or listen to; and your reactions, ratings, and reviews on books.
- Cookies. We may log information using “cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on your device by a website. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your device until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our sites. We do not currently respond to Do Not Track signals.
WHAT WE DO WITH THIS INFORMATION
We use the information we collect in the following ways:
- Service Delivery. To operate and maintain our services; to create your account, identify you as a user, and customize our sites for your account; to send you administrative communications, which may include administrative emails, confirmations, technical notices, updates, and security alerts; to respond to your comments and questions and provide you with user support; and to process payments you make via our sites.
- Research & Development. To improve our services.
- Marketing. To track and measure our advertising, and to send you promotional communications. Depending on your settings, these promotional communications may include deals or new releases emails, alerts related to authors you follow, social notifications, surveys, or other newsletters. You may opt-out of receiving such information at any time: such marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.”
- Compliance & Operations. To protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
HOW WE SHARE THIS INFORMATION
We may share your personal information as follows:
- Third Parties Designated by You. We may share your personal information with third parties where you have provided your consent to do so.
- Our Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your personal information with our third-party service providers who provide services such as data analysis, payment processing, information technology and related infrastructure, email delivery, and other similar services. We require that our third-party service providers use your personal information only to provide the services we’ve requested.
- Our Other Services. We may share your personal information between our services, ReviewBook For example, if you create an account on Chirp, we may access the genres of books you like to read from your account on ReviewBook.
- Corporate Restructurings. We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
When we use the term “anonymous data,” we’re referring to data and information that doesn’t permit you to be identified or identifiable, either alone or when combined with any other information available to a third party.
We may create anonymous data from the personal information we receive about you and other individuals whose personal information we collect. Anonymous data might include analytics information and information collected by us using cookies. We make personal information into anonymous data by excluding information, such as your name, that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze usage patterns in order to make improvements to our sites.
INFORMATION THAT MAY BE PUBLICLY VISIBLE
If you have a social profile on ReviewBook, then certain information may be publicly visible, including your name and username; other users you’re following; and your reactions, ratings, and reviews that you share with other ReviewBook users. If you haven’t created a social profile, then we may have created one for you using the information you have previously provided, including parts of your email address, to facilitate interacting with features on the site. You can control the information that is publicly visible on your profile by adjusting your privacy settings.
We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your personal information, or any other information, on our sites.
We use several types of cookies on our sites:
- Essential Cookies. These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through our sites. For example, when you sign in to our sites, we may send cookies to your device so that we can identify you as a user.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies are used to remember choices you make when you use our sites, such as your country. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience.
- Analytics and Performance Cookies. These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our sites and how users use the sites. The information is aggregated and anonymous and does not identify any individual visitor. It includes the number of visitors to our sites, the pages they visited, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate, maintain, and improve our sites.
- Social Media Cookies. These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button on our sites or engage with our content on or through a social network such as Facebook or Twitter. The social network will record that you have done this.
ONLINE TRACKING OPT-OUT GUIDE
Like many companies online, we may use services provided by Google and other companies that rely on technologies — such as cookies and web beacons — to collect information directly from your device about your browsing activities, your interactions with websites, and the device you’re using to connect to the Internet. There are a number of ways to opt-out of having your online activity and device data collected through these services, which we have summarized below:
Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our sites work for you.
Blocking advertising ID use in your mobile settings. Your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising. Please check the instructions for your operating system: iOS or Android.
Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our websites from setting cookies used for interest-based advertising by using a browser with privacy features, like Brave, or by installing browser plugins that block third-party cookies and trackers.
Platform opt-outs. The following advertising partners offer features that let you opt-out of the use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Google. https://adssettings.google.com
- Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/about/ads
- AppNexus. https://platform.xandr.com/privacy-center/opt_out
- Rakuten Advertising. https://rakutenadvertising.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-rights-request-form/
Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies. Because these opt-out mechanisms are specific to the device or browser on which they are exercised, you will need to opt-out on every browser and device that you use.
- Digital Advertising Alliance. http://optout.aboutads.info
- Network Advertising Initiative. http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1
We use Google Analytics, a service which collects information anonymously and reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. Google Analytics uses its own cookie to track visitor interactions. To learn more about the information collected by Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
We use Google reCAPTCHA, which identifies bots by collecting hardware and software information and sending that data to Google for analysis. To learn more about Google reCAPTCHA, please visit https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/invisible.html and https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Opt-out. You can contact us any time to opt-out of (a) promotional communications, (b) any new processing of your personal information that we may carry out beyond the original purpose, or (c) the transfer of your personal information outside the EEA. Please note that your use of some of the sites or services may be ineffective upon opt-out.
Access. You can access the information we hold about you at any time by viewing your account on our sites or by contacting us directly.
Amend. You can also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
Move. Your personal information is portable — i.e. you have the flexibility to move your data to other service providers as you wish.
Erase and Forget. In certain situations, for example when the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
You may have an account on ReviewBook, or both sites.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us ReviewBook. In your request, please make clear (a) what personal information is concerned, and (b) which of the above rights you would like to enforce. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
When you receive promotional emails from us, you can also unsubscribe or opt-out by clicking the link at the bottom of any of the emails. You can’t opt-out of receiving administrative communications.
In order to use our sites, you need to provide us with your email address. If you cannot provide us with your email address, you cannot use our sites.
We retain personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it. These purposes may include satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements; establishing or defending legal claims; or fraud prevention.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information; the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information; the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and the applicable legal requirements.
When we no longer require the personal information we have collected about you, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible. If we anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you), we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
You can only use Chirp if you reside in the United States or Canada.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to the next paragraph, we ask that you not send us, and you do not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through our sites or otherwise to us.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
This section applies only to California residents. It describes how we collect, use and share personal information of California residents in operating our business, and their rights with respect to that personal information. For the purposes of this section, “personal information” has the meaning given in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) but does not include information exempted from the scope of the CCPA.
Your California Privacy Rights. As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may decline your request as permitted by law.
- Information. You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information during the past 12 months: the categories of personal information that we have collected; the categories of sources from which we collected personal information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting and/or selling personal information; the categories of third parties with whom we share personal information; whether we have disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, and if so, the categories of personal information received by each category of third-party recipient; and whether we’ve sold your personal information, and if so, the categories of personal information received by each category of third-party recipient.
- Access. You can request a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you during the past 12 months.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we have collected from you.
- Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination. This means that we will not penalize you for exercising your rights by taking actions such as denying you services, increasing the price/rate of services, decreasing service quality, or suggesting that we may penalize you as described above for exercising your rights.
How to Exercise Your Rights. You can request to exercise your information, access and deletion rights by contacting us ReviewBook or by emailing us ReviewBook. We will need to confirm your identity and California residency to process your requests to exercise your information, access or deletion rights. We cannot process your request if you do not provide us with sufficient detail to allow us to understand and respond to it.
- Identifiers. We collect this from Information You Give Us and Information We Get From Others. We use this information for Service Delivery, Research & Development, Marketing, and Compliance & Operations.
- Commercial Information. We collect this from Information Automatically Collected. We use this information for Service Delivery, Research & Development, Marketing, and Compliance & Operations.
- Financial Information. We collect this from Information You Give Us. We use this information for Service Delivery and Compliance & Operations.
- Online Identifiers. We collect this from Information You Give Us, Information Automatically Collected, and Cookies. We use this information for Service Delivery, Research & Development, Marketing, and Compliance & Operations.
- Internet or Network Information. We collect this from Information Automatically Collected. We use this information for Service Delivery, Research & Development, Marketing, and Compliance & Operations.
For each of the above categories, we may share this information with the following categories of third parties: Third Parties Designated by You, Our Third-Party Service Providers, Our Advertising Partners, Our Other Services, Corporate Restructurings, or Other Disclosures. For additional information on how we share this information, refer to the section above entitled How We Share This Information.
OUR POLICY ON CHILDREN
Our sites are not directed at children under 16. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that their child has provided us with information without their consent, they should contact us (ReviewBook), and we will delete such information as soon as reasonably practicable.
USER TESTIMONIALS AND FEEDBACK
We often receive testimonials and comments from users who have had positive experiences with our services, and we occasionally publish them. We obtain the user’s consent prior to posting any feedback on a public area of our sites.